Barrel aged coffee has been around for a while now but when it comes to quality that you can taste there are few that can rise up to the challenge. The trouble with barrel aged coffee is that in the roasting process the beans absorb all of the odors that are present. This can cause things to get a bit funky if you’re not careful with where you source your barrels and what you’re going to be aging your coffee in. So in honor of National Coffee Day we picked out three barrel aged coffee companies that we think are the perfect way to jumpstart your mornings.
Oak & Bond Coffee
- TASTE PROFILE: The Savory Red Fruit flavors of the once used Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Barrel is combined with the Luscious Dark Chocolate, Plum, and Candied Pecan Flavors of our Guatemala Huehuetenango Coffee. This sweet, smooth, and rich taste profile is one that we know you will enjoy.
- TASTE PROFILE: The Rich Chocolate, Caramel, and Mandarin Orange flavors of our Brazil Single Origin Coffee are combined with the Sweet Bourbon and Oak flavors extracted from the once used Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey Barrel. This sweet and smooth taste profile is one which we know you will enjoy.
- TASTE PROFILE: The Delicious Cocoa and Almond flavors of our Costa Rica Single Origin Coffee are combined with the Sweet Rye, Green Apple, and Oak flavors extracted from the once used Kentucky Rye Whiskey Barrel. This sweet and smooth taste profile is one which we know you will enjoy.
- TASTE PROFILE: Mouthwatering Milk Chocolate, Raspberry, Honey, Pecan, and Silky Scotch flavors overflow with our Scotch Whisky Barrel Aged coffee. Handcrafted to combined incredible notes from our Colombia Coffee with the sweet, rich notes from our Scotch Whisky Barrel. this sweet, smooth taste profile is one which we know you will enjoy.
Coopers Cask Coffee
Coopers Cask Coffee by Jason Maranhao and John Speights, these two met while working for a technology company and realized that they shared a common interest in high quality coffee. Jason had mentioned to John that he was importing and roasting his own coffee beans which eventually lead to them forming Cooper Cask Coffee in 2014. The rest is history as one would say as they have gone on to create an incredibly well known barrel aged coffee brand that has enthusiasts from both the coffee and alcohol world talking.
They have a wide variety to choose from including…
- TASTE PROFILE: Woody Earth, tobacco, tropical fruits, vanilla, caramel. Aged in Uprising (Son’s of Liberty Whiskey): Single Malt American Whiskey with Sumatra Lintong Coffee Beans.
- TASTE PROFILE: Vibrant taste profile of rustic sweetness, a hint of cocoa and dark fruit notes with a bourbon finish. Aged in Kentucky Bourbon whiskey barrels with Colombian Grade 1 Coffee Beans.
- TASTING PROFILE: Bright and clean cup with a slight acidic spice, fruited notes of peach jam and strawberries, a touch of sweetness of red raw honey, and dutch chocolate. Aged in Battle Cry (Son’s of Liberty Whiskey) Rye American whiskey with Ethiopian Dry Processed coffee beans.
- TASTING PROFILE: Caramelized sugar, red raisins, molasses, rich cocoa, baking spices, vanilla, and oak. Aged in Thomas Tew Rum Barrel from Newport, RI with Rwanda Single Origin coffee beans.
Pappy & Co
Yes, that “Pappy”. The Pappy Van Winkle lineup may be some of the most hard to find American Whiskies in the world but their merchandise, syrups, and coffee is available for you today. The Pappy & Co coffee is made by Good Folks Coffee Wholesalers in Louisville, KY.
“They share the same approach to quality and craftsmanship and believe that coffee, like bourbon, is an experience to be enjoyed and luxuriated in. Their small batch single-origin Guatemalan whole coffee beans have been aged in Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon barrels to lend the mild hint of bourbon to create the perfect medium to dark roasted flavor.”